Who uses the JMS and why?
- Median age 65 (youngest member 18. oldest member 92).
- Perceived need for friendship in a place that affirms positive aspects of masculinity.
- Men enjoy the lack of compulsion, opportunities for hands-on, productive activity, mentoring, socializing and belonging.
- Men enjoy ‘getting out of the house’ (empty or shared with a partner).
- Men’s Sheds can provide a place for some men to start to talk about a whole range of life issues, including health and wellbeing.
What do our Shedders learn?
- Hands-on skills through practical, productive activity.
- The positive value of leisure activity and friendship with other men.
- Health, fitness, relationships, identities as men and emotional wellbeing.
- How to cope with changes, associated with unemployment, separation, ageing disability and retirement.
- To develop, share and enjoy lives and identities beyond work and home.